Educating and Developing Workers for the Green Economy (EDGE) Initiative
The EDGE Initiative provided education, training and placement services in the growing biofuels/industrial biotechnology industry to unemployed and incumbent workers within San Diego and the Imperial Valley. Program curriculum has been carefully constructed with input from industry partners to ensure that these sectors' needs are met with highly skilled workers.
A recent analysis, conducted by SANDAG, reports that for the algae sector alone, the industry provides our region with 410 direct jobs, $56 million in direct economic activity and $108 million in total economic activity annually. According to results from the CA Industrial Biotech Workforce Survey, industrial biotech companies grew 19 percent between 2009 and 2010. Over the past five years, this unique segment grew 50 percent.
See program testamonials here!
GRANT FUNDING FOR EDGE PROGRAMS is no longer available!
• Industrial Biotech Immersion Program: This online certificate program will use industry driven curriculum to give individuals the business acumen and soft skills needed to successfully transition into industrial biotech careers. Program cost $995 for BIOCOM Members and $1495 for non members. See more information here.
• Biomass Production Training Certificate: This certificate will provide a foundation in the technologies employed by biotechnology companies engaged inthe production of microalgal biomass for biofuels and other applications forbiomass production careers.
• Biofuels Science Technician Certificates- Biological/Biofuels Lab Technician, Microbiological/Crop Management, Biofuels Analytical Chemist: This certificate will provide the hands-on technical knowledge and experience in biofuels production, analysis and processing required to excel in a management-level biofuels career, in one of three areas: analytical chemistry, microbiological/crop management, or biological/biofuels lab techniques.
GRANT FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM IS CLOSED, however tution assistance might be avialable via UCSD Extension for 2013! For more information click here.
• Advanced Training in Biofuels Production Certificate: Fulfilling the need to continue to understand and improve the science of biofuels, the M.A.S. will prepare advanced degree holders to assume responsibility for important research in the growing biofuels industry by providing technical knowledge and hands-on experience in biofuels production, analysis and processing, as well as basic biotechnology business and entrepreneurial skills.
• Paid Internships: The EDGE Internship program provides opportunities to work in the rapidly emerging biofuels/industrial biotechnology industry. Each work experience is tailored to a participant's education level and capabilities, and interns gain exposure to career options, hands-on laboratory experience, work readiness skills, and mentoring by industry professionals. Beginning in June 2011, 100 full-time, 8 week internships will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
Who to Contact:
Ashley Reynolds: email@example.com
***Please include your name and the program you would like more information about in the subject line of your email.